How To Pop Amaranth
Time: 10 minutes
- Desired amount of Amaranth (1/3 C unpopped with yield approximately 1 C popped)
- A sauce pan with a glass lid
- A bowl
1. Pre-heat sauce pan on medium to medium-high heat, making sure that pan is well-heated prior to beginning.
2. Pour 1-2 Tbsp of amaranth at a time into the saucepan, depending on the size of your pan. It is important not to place too much amaranth in the pan at one time, as it is then more likely to burn.
3. Once the amaranth is in the pan, quickly cover with a glass lid and shake the pan back and forth for approximately 10 seconds while the amaranth is popping. Once popped quickly transfer it to another bowl. If it begins to smoke, you know that you need to quickly get it out of the pan before it burns. A sauce pan that doesn’t have a glass lid can be used. It’s just nice to see what’s going on inside the pot.
4. Continue to do as listed above until you have finished popping your desired amount of amaranth.
For a recipe featuring popped amaranth, check out my Cranberry Pistachio Amaranth Chocolate Bars.