Sweet Potato and Chard Lasagna Wheels
Serves: 4 Serving Size: 2 Lasagna Wheels
Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 8 Lasagna Noodles*
- 1 1/2 lbs of whole sweet potato (approximately 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 bunch of rainbow chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 C of sweet onion, diced
- 1 1/2 C vegetable broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 16 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese**
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese, divided in half**
- 2 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 tsp dry garlic
- 6 tsp frozen basil OR 1 1/2 Tbsp dry
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
* I used Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles. For gluten-free families, I recommend a brown rice or a quinoa noodle.
** For a vegan recipe or a lower fat content, either omit or decrease the amount of cheese used. This is still delicious without cheese!
3. Place 1 tsp olive oil into a skillet along with vegetable broth, diced onions, and chopped rainbow chard. Sauté uncovered on medium heat until the vegetables are tender and all of the liquid has cooked off, then set aside.
4. In a bowl, mix together cooked sweet potato, 1/4 C of Parmesan cheese (optional), minced garlic, basil, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. If you don’t have a garlic press, I highly recommend one. It’s such a time saver, and one of my most-used kitchen tools!
5. Set up a work station with all of your prepped ingredients at hand and preheat your oven to 350º F.
6. Coat the bottom of a 9×7 glass dish with tomato sauce. Next, lay out your lasagna noodles and coat with a layer of sweet potato and then a layer of the chard mixture. Gently roll into a wheel and place into your baking dish.
7. Top wheels with a layer of tomato sauce, a layer of Parmesan cheese (optional), and a layer of mozzarella cheese (optional).
8. Bake at 350º F for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
9. Allow lasagna wheels to sit for 5 minutes before serving.