Butternut Squash Apple Sausage Soup
Your little butternuts will love this hot, comforting, and delicious seasonal soup on a chilly fall day!
Author: Rachel Hanawalt
Recipe type: Soups
Serves: 4 servings
- 6-7 C cubed butternut squash
- 12 oz package uncured chicken apple sausage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 C coarsely chopped carrots
- ⅓ C coarsely chopped celery
- 1 C coarsely chopped sweet onion
- ½ tsp dried garlic granules
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 C low-sodium chicken broth
- salt to taste
- Cut the apple sausage into bite-sized pieces, brown in the pot to be used for making soup, and then set aside.
- Chop carrots, celery, and onions and place them with the oil into the uncleaned pot that the apple sausage was cooked in. Sauté on medium-low heat until the onions are translucent without browning (about 5 minutes).
- Add butternut squash, garlic, nutmeg, and pepper to the pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute before adding chicken broth. Refer to my "How To Cut a Butternut Squash" post for prepping your butternut squash.
- Turn heat up to high, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low to simmer. Simmer until the butternut squash is soft when pierced with a fork and beginning to fall apart.
- Purée soup with an immersion blender until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, this can be done in a regular blender (which is more of a hassle).
- Reheat sausage in a small sauté pan or the microwave. Serve soup hot, topped with apple chicken sausage, and garnished with a pinch of nutmeg.
Refer to my How To Cut a Butternut Squash for an awesome KITCHEN HACK that makes cutting your butternut less of a hassle.