Cheddar Panko Asparagus – This simple spring side dish gives that fresh asparagus a satisfying and savory crunch.
Spring hasn’t quite sprung where I live and it is so chilly that I had to bring my hanging basket of pansies in from the cold the last couple of nights due to threat of frost. The grass, however, is turning green and the daffodils in the neighbors’ garden are smiling at me. And as I was out driving around this past weekend (I’m a visiting nurse), I had a moment of excitement in my busy workday when I passed by a farm stand that said that local asparagus was in. The first fresh, local vegetable of the season! Warm weather is just around the corner…
After finding some good asparagus, it’s a perfect time to set to work with making one of my family’s favorites: Cheddar Panko Asparagus. It’s easy to make and that cheddar and panko sells kids on the asparagus.
Simply place some lightly steamed asparagus on a parchment-lined baking sheet and season to taste…
Sprinkle with some freshly shredded cheddar cheese…
… and sprinkle with panko that has been mixed with olive oil…
… place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the panko is golden brown, and a delicious vegetable side is ready to serve!
- 2 lbs of asparagus
- 1¼ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 C panko
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley or tarragon for garnish
- Add water to a vegetable steamer and begin to bring to a boil. Wash and snap the ends off of the asparagus. Once the water in the steamer is boiling, add the asparagus. Steam covered for 3-4 minutes, or until it's just fork tender and then rinse with cold water.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly arrange the asparagus on the sheet. Season with pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix the olive oil with the panko, and then sprinkle it over the layer of cheddar cheese.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven under a broiler for 2-3 minutes. The dish is done when the cheddar is melted and the panko is golden brown. Garnish with fresh minced parsley or tarragon before serving.
this mya even get my kids to love asparagus! what a great side dish idea
When the kids will eat it that’s always a win! My 5 year old ate up 4 whole asparaguses with hardly a fuss!
Carol Borchardt says
Our asparagus is starting to come up, so love finding new recipes for it. Love this one!!!!
Fresh asparagus for the garden! Such fun!
When I was a kid my family would make that yucky cheese soup asparagus – oh 80’s packaged food 🙂 This looks like such a delicious fresh side especially with that golden panko, perfect for spring!
I remember that soup… One time my Dad made a can of it for me while my mom was out and I dumped it in the trash while he wasn’t looking. Unfortunately because it was soup it leaked through the bottom of the trash bag, he figured out what I did and I got in BIG trouble! Evil soup! I promise that this asparagus recipe is much tastier!
It would be great if I could get my kids to eat asparagus as well, no luck until now…. I will try this, it is something different from what I usually make. Today: white asparagus with sauce hollandaise. Just hoping that the sky will clear, so I can get some decent photos…
haha! Kids can be tough with asparagus. I told my son to pretend that his asparagus was a tree and that he should pretend that he’s a brachiosaurus. It works for now, but I have a feeling it won’t last!
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
Beautiful side dish! We love asparagus and my husband loves panko, he uses it on a lot of different dishes. Here with cheddar, on top of asparagus will make for a crunchy, cheesy deliciousness!
This is one of my husbands favorite spring dishes. I think it’s because of the panko. 😉