Dressing for 14-16 oz Bag of Coleslaw Mix – Step up your summer picnic game with this easy and delicious dressing recipe perfectly portioned to match a pre-shredded coleslaw mix from the grocery store.
A long time ago, back when I was in college, I worked in a group home for women with developmental disabilities. The job involved creating a family-like (rather than an institutional-like) environment for the residents. Naturally this involved a family-style dinner every night.
The staff were responsible for cooking for the residents, and let me tell you, the ladies where I worked were lucky! I was basically still a kid at the time and just getting comfortable in the kitchen, but one of my coworkers was an amazing cook! I learned a lot from her in the kitchen.
One thing she always did exceedingly well was coleslaw. It’s such a basic recipe, but when done right, it’s one of my favorite go-to summer sides. I serve it with all things BBQ. For example, ribs, chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, and sloppy Joes.
Over the years I’ve made this recipe my own by messing with the vinegar and mayo proportions. I also created a recipe that makes the perfect amount of dressing for a bag of Classic Coleslaw Mix that you can find in the grocery store produce section.
Somewhere along the way I also added celery seed to the mix, which I think is the “secret ingredient” that sets this coleslaw recipe apart from others. But you don’t have to take my word for it… Try it yourself the next time you fire up the grill!
Dressing for 14-16 oz Bag of Coleslaw Mix
Step up your summer picnic game with this easy and delicious dressing recipe perfectly portioned to match a pre-shredded coleslaw mix from the grocery store.
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2/3 C mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 14-16 oz bag classic coleslaw mix
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the coleslaw mix in a large bowl and whisk it together until it's smooth and creamy.
- Place the dressing in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the sugar to completely dissolve and to allow the celery seeds to soften.
- After 30 minutes have elapsed give the dressing one last quick whisk and then fold into the classic coleslaw mix.
- This recipe tastes best if served immediately, but it can also be made the night before or the morning of.
Herbert W. Stoughton says
Question: How many servings will this receipe produce?