Carrot Fritters with Tahini Yogurt Sauce – If you think the words “fritter” and “good-for-you” can’t go together, this recipe aims to challenge that notion! Loaded with fresh carrots, herbs, and flax, these babies pack a powerful nutritional punch.
If there is one thing I love, it’s a fritter. Yes, fritters are a fried food (gasp!), but in the case of this recipe they are lightly fried in olive oil, so that’s not so bad. They’re also packed with good-for-you carrots, herbs, and flax. But don’t let the flax throw you, because they are so tasty you’ll find yourself saying, “just one more.” In fact, this recipe is one that’s a regular part of my springtime recipe rotation. My husband and I like topping microgreens with these babies and then smothering them in Tahini Yogurt Sauce. This makes for a yummy salad, but if you’re hungry for something more filling, serve the fritters and microgreens in a pita or as a side to a meaty main.
Part of what makes these carrot fritters so good is their blend of spices. Garlic, turmeric, cumin and ginger give them a decidedly Moroccan flair. And oh, how I love Moroccan food… Moroccan+Fritters=YUM! If you’re someone who is intimidated by hot and spicy foods, these aren’t “hot,” but just full of flavor, making them something that my kid will actually try.
The thing that really ties this dish together is the Tahini Yogurt Sauce, again with the Moroccan flair. This yogurt sauce is something of a staple in my home, and it whips up especially easily with my hand immersion blender (thanks Mom for the awesome Christmas gift). If you’re in the market for an immersion blender click here to purchase the same one I use on Amazon. I highly recommend it. Plus it’s moderately priced, which is a win in my life at the moment. If you’re budget is extra tight this one is even more economical, and it’s similar in design, minus all of the accessories.
So happy Carrot Fritter making and dipping in a delicious Tahini Yogurt Sauce! But be warned because you’ll want to hog them all to yourself!
- 2 Tbsp ground flax
- 5 Tbsp water
- 2½ C shredded carrots
- ½ C diced green onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp chick pea flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 C pea shoots or other microgreens
- 1 C plain Greek yogurt (consider a soy or coconut version for a dairy-free option)
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey (substitute with agave to make this recipe vegan)
- Mix together the ground flax and water in a small dish and then set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Evenly combine the vegetables, chick pea flour, and spices and then stir in the thickened flax.
- Lightly coat a pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Scoop approximately ⅛ C portions of the fritter mix and form into patties. The patties will fall apart easily, but will bind nicely once they're cooked. Fry on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Using a hand blender or a whisk, mix together all of the ingredients for the Tahini Yogurt Sauce.
- To serve, lay on a bed of pea shoots or mircogreens and top with the Tahini Yogurt Sauce.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy…