Teriyaki and Pineapple Chicken Meatball Kebabs – Back-to-school time can be busy and stressful. Might as well make dinner a snap with this easy, sweet-and-savory recipe with a tropical vibe.
I seem to keep missing out on the back-to-school shopping bandwagon. I know that, like me, a lot of parents get excited about their kids going back to school. Apparently, enough so that they descend upon the aisles of Target and Walmart by the second week of July to buy up all of the school supplies!
Me on the other hand, I waited until the second week of August to get my son’s school supplies. And let me tell you, it was slim pickings! Our school district releases a very specific list of items to get each year. Things like a binder that must be 1 1/2,” and preferably made by Avery. This year the real challenge was finding a pencil case to fit in said binder. All that was left were multipacks of knock offs on Amazon. Seriously, we don’t need five off-brand pencil cases! Then there’s the obligatory classroom supplies of tissues, disinfecting wipes, and dry erase makers. Honestly, I don’t mind buying these things, because I know it’s to help my son’s teacher. I just wish that the stores properly stocked them!
Fortunately, in the end I was able to find everything my son needed. I just had to go to three different stores! Both online and brick-and-mortar. I guess that’s what I get for being so “last minute.” Truly, I always feel a little bit frenzied at the end of summer. I get exhausted between all the back-to-school shopping, pediatrician and dentist well visits, haircuts, and trying to fit in some last minute fun for the kids before the new school year begins. Fortunately, I can lean back on some of my favorite easy summer meals to at least make dinner painless! One of my family’s favorites are these Teriyaki and Pineapple Chicken Meatball Kebabs.
This recipe is sweet, savory, and mildly spicy. It has a tropical vibe that’s perfect for late summer nights. Because it uses pre-cooked chicken meatballs and store-bought teriyaki sauce, it’s easy to prep and cooks quickly. Not to mention, grilling doesn’t make many dishes! School shopping might take forever, but at least dinner can be quick, easy, and delicious!
- 1 12 oz package teriyaki chicken meatballs*
- 1 pineapple, cut into large chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 14.5 oz bottle teriyaki sauce**
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Sriracha mayo, to taste (optional)
- Preheat and clean the grill, and while the grill is heating, prep the kebabs.
- Prep the pineapple and the vegetables.
- Next, assemble the kebabs. The pattern I used was green pepper, red pepper, onion, pineapple, onion, red pepper, green pepper, and then meatball, but feel free to customize.
- Place all of the skewers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, and using a basting brush, coat the skewers on all sides with teriyaki sauce.
- Grill the skewers over medium heat, about 400-450º, for about 10 minutes, turning frequently.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and allow to sit for three minutes before serving. Serve on a bed of rice or in a pita pocket. Drizzle with Sriracha mayo as desired. Serve hot.
*I used Aidell's Teriyaki Pineapple Chicken Meatballs.
**I used Aldi's brand Teriyaki sauce