Maple Peach Streusel Ice Cream Sundaes – Think peaches, maple syrup, and ice cream sounds a bit old-fashioned? Take a taste and you’ll soon agree there’s NOTHING fuddy-duddy about this to-die-for flavor combination!
When I was growing up I spent most of my summer days and nights at my grandparent’s house. My Nana had an “oops” baby three months after I was born, so I spent much of my childhood having endless summertime adventures with my slightly younger uncle who I still affectionately call Uncle Benny. My young-at-heart grandparents were never old fuddy-duddies, either. They were always ready to join in with our childhood antics and they are part of some of my best childhood memories.
There was, however, one thing about my granddad that in my kid brain I considered a bit fuddy-duddy. His signature dessert was vanilla bean ice cream with maple syrup poured over top. A chocolate lover myself, I found this a bit strange and a bit old-fashioned (and “old man-ish”). Much like the pecan ice cream topping you can find at Dairy Queen – a treat harkening back to the old days of soda shops.
Then one day I gave my grandad’s concoction a try… And so it would seem that older people sometimes really do know what they’re talking about when it comes to food… Vanilla ice cream and maple are a match made in heaven. My granddad later introduced me to Coca-Cola mixed with real vanilla extract and boy am I wishing that my town had an old-fashioned soda shop!
Even though there is no soda shop down the street in my bustling Philadelphia suburb, I’ve had some fun over the last few years making a maple-vanilla concoction of my own. During peach season, out goes the chocolate syrup and sprinkles, and in comes Maple Peach Streusel Ice Cream Sundaes! I’ve served this at two picnics and the reaction has been unanimous – this is one good sundae and there’s nothing fuddy-duddy about it!
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ C packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ C quick cooking rolled oats
- 6 scoops premium vanilla bean ice cream
- 3 peaches, peeled and chopped
- 6 Tbsp real maple syrup
- In a saucepan, melt the the butter over low heat. While the butter is melting mix together the dry ingredients; light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, and quick cooking rolled oats.
- Remove the melted butter from the heat and stir in the dry ingredients. Add 2 Tbsp of real maple syrup to the saucepan and also stir to combine.
- Crumble the streusel between your fingers over parchment or wax paper. Allow time for the streusel to cool before sprinkling on ice cream.
- For each sundae serve 1 scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Sprinkle with half of a chopped peach, streusel crumbles, and 1 Tbsp of maple syrup.