Tipsy Tequila Yellow Watermelon Wedges – Celebrate the waning days of summer with this boozy, crunchy, kicked-up appetizer featuring seasonal produce and a festive spirit!
Labor Day is this weekend, which means there’s one last chance to get some summer partying in! I know exactly what I want to end the summer season with, and it’s these Tipsy Tequila Yellow Watermelon Wedges. Sadly, I work the long weekend… But fortunately for me I’m off Tuesday, so after a long holiday weekend of work I can enjoy a couple of extra slices of this tipsy watermelon! As a registered nurse, I dare say that I may be needing it… All you nurses out there, you SO know what I mean!
Now on to the recipe! This recipe has tequila, triple sec, lime, and salt – the classic combination that makes up a margarita. I soak watermelon in the above mixture, along with agave, which adds a sweetness to the combo. Finally, the addition of jalapeño gives this recipe a kick! It’s like a fresh, crunchy, kicking margarita that you can chew on! Oh, and I’m pretty sure it’s healthy because you’re eating fruit. Right? 😉
I hope you have a happy Labor Day and a great end to the summer season. The end of summer is always a little sad for this locavore and foodie… Fortunately, pumpkin spice season is right around the corner!
- 1 4-5 lb yellow watermelon cut into wedges
- ½ C tequila
- ¼ C triple sec
- 1 tsp light agave
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- ⅛ tsp finely ground sea salt
- Zest of 1 lime for garnish
- Arrange the thinly sliced jalapeños and limes in a 9x13 dish and pour the tequila, triple sec, and agave over them. Gently stir to combine the flavors.
- Add the yellow watermelon to the dish and coat with the alcohol, jalapeños and limes. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refridgerator for about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
- To serve, arrange the jalapeños and limes around the watermelon as a garnish. Also garnish with sea salt and lime zest. Serve immediately.