Homemade S’mores Granola Bars – Send the kids off to school with these fun, healthy, and nutritious snacks featuring Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. Guaranteed to keep young bellies full and minds focused!
Today I put my oldest son on the school bus for the first time and it hit me… I’m the mother of a school-aged child. Long gone are the days of mommy-and-me classes for he and I. He’s ready to take on the world without his old mom. Or at least the halls of our local elementary school and the kindergarten classroom. He’s a big boy! The thing is, even big boys need some help from mom from time to time.
Part of the fun of kindergarten is snack time. At least that’s what I thought when I was a kindergartener, back (ahem) a few years ago…
My big guy is… Well, lets just say he’s “high energy.” He’s constantly in motion and approaches just about every aspect of his young life with intensity. He also gets REALLY hungry quite often and sometimes needs a little help staying fueled throughout the day.
When I started planning school snacks I wanted to come up with something that my son would love and look forward to eating, while also keeping him satisfied. That’s when I decided to make these Homemade S’mores Granola Bars with Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.
It’s pretty much universally accepted that kids love s’mores. This makes it easy to get the good-for-you ingredients hidden in this recipe into your little ones. Bob’s Red Mill oats are kiln-roasted to give them that wholesome flavor you’ve come to expect from their oats. In addition to their awesome flavor, they’re rich in dietary fiber which keeps bellies full and minds focused. To make these granola bars even better, I added Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Protein Powder to the mix, which adds an extra chocolate flavor along with protein, probiotics, omega-3s and iron. Your big kids won’t even know you’re helping them stay focused at school with such a tasty snack!
As you plan on feeding your kids healthy snacks they’ll love in the new school year, be sure to take advantage of these coupons from Bob’s Red Mill. There’s one you can use on the oats and on the protein powder!
- 2 C Bob’s Red Mill Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 6 Tbsp salted butter, evenly divided
- ⅔ C light agave nectar
- ¼ C packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ C Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Protein Powder
- ⅔ C crumbled graham crackers
- ½ C micro marshmallows plus ⅓ C micro marshmallows
- ⅓ C mini chocolate chips
- Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in the microwave and mix together with the rolled oats. Toast 2 C of Bob’s Red Mill Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats in a 350ºF oven for 12 minutes, stirring mid-way.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt together the butter, agave, light brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Protein Powder, graham crackers, and oats. Pour the melted mixture over the dry mixture and evenly combine. Allow 5 minutes to cool, then fold in ½ C micro marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into a 12 inch baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the bars, and press down with your fingers. Cool in the refrigerator before cutting into bars and serving.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Heather Kinnaird says
what a great idea adding protein powder!
Thanks heather! It just makes the granola bars taste more chocolatey.
Kristen Chidsey says
Now this is just a super fun way to enjoy granola bars. Tasty!
You can never go wrong with s’mores!