For today’s post I got some help from my good friend Tucker. He’s a gregarious 1 year old golden retriever who lives for his next meal and the adoration of all those around him. I don’t own a dog myself, but since he belongs to my sister I get to borrow him on a regular basis. Even though he’s a little naughty around food from time to time, he has a tendency to light up the room, he assumes the best about everyone, and my son loves him the way boys love and need a dog in their lives.
In many ways I wish that I could have my own dog, but getting a puppy is kind of like having another kid, which I’m not quite ready to take on at the moment. Tucker pretty much satisfies my puppy itch. My son and I get to play with him, get him all riled up, and then send him home hopped up on people food. I’m basically a puppy aunt – and it’s great!
When I made this recipe, Tucker attentively watched over the granola as I mixed it together.
He was a really good boy…
…but then he couldn’t take it anymore and he snuck a lick of some crumbs that didn’t quite make it onto the tray.
He’s such a pretty pup that I couldn’t stay mad at him. I mean seriously, just look into those expectant eyes that say, “love me, love me, love me!”
It’s no wonder he couldn’t help himself… This golden-brown Vanilla Hazelnut Granola is ready to serve with yogurt and freshly picked strawberries.
If you’re feeling a little naughty (like Tucker) it’s also delicious drizzled with Nutella, but please keep the chocolate out of reach of the puppies in your life!
- 3 C rolled oats
- 1 C rice cereal
- ¾ C chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ C almond flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C maple syrup
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp hazelnut extract
- ¼ C melted coconut oil
- 4 C plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy depending on dietary preferences)
- 6 C chopped strawberries
- Nutella for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF. In a bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup and vanilla and hazelnut extract. Pour over the mixture of your dry ingredients while stirring to evenly combine.
- Melt ¼ C of coconut oil in the microwave or on the stovetop, and then pour it over your granola while stirring to evenly coat.
- Evenly spread the granola mixture out onto a cookie sheet and place it in your preheated oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes, checking on it and giving it a stir every 10 minutes.
- While your granola is cooking, chop up your strawberries and set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
- Once golden brown, remove the granola from the oven and allow 15 minutes for it to cool before serving.
- To serve, place about ½ cup of plain yogurt, one sixth of your granola mixture, and about a ¾ cup of strawberries into each bowl. Drizzle with a touch of Nutella if you’re feeling a little bit naughty!
2. Also, contrary to the wishful thinking method, the recent medical research does not indicate that eating Nutella in the morning supports weight loss. 🙂