Serving Size: 1 Cup Elbow Macaroni Pasta, plus 1 1/2 C Unstuffed Cabbage
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 C whole wheat macaroni pasta*
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 6 C roughly chopped cabbage (roughly 1 medium cabbage)
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, largely diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 14.5 oz can of unseasoned tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 cup grated mozzerella
- parsley or basil for garnish
* For a gluten sensitivity, I recommend quinoa pasta
1. Brown the ground beef on medium heat, about 5 minutes, until it is cooked through, and then drain off excess fat and set aside in a dish.
2. While the meat is browning, chop the onions and cabbage. Sauté in a large pan, by adding 2 Tbsp of water at a time to the pan, as needed, to prevent from sticking. Cook the cabbage until it becomes soft and tender.
3. While the cabbage is cooking, cook elbow macaroni per the package instructions and then drain when finished.
4. Add the beef, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the cooked cabbage and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, until the meat is heated through and the spices are releasing their aroma.
5. In a small sauce pan, combine the canned tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Bring your sauce to a simmer and then remove from the burner. While your sauce is heating, grate 1 C of mozzarella cheese.
6. For the final step, ladle your sauce on top of your cabbage and meat sauté and then sprinkle with cheese and fresh herbs. To serve, top 1 C of cooked macaroni with unstuffed cabbage.