Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins – Big, delicious fall flavors of tart apples and cinnamon sugar come together in a delightfully small package with these super tasty seasonal muffins!
My family love muffins. I’m not sure whether it’s the cake-like aspect of it, or if it’s more about the form factor.
I mean, I can make a beautiful layer cake with buttercream frosting and I’ll end up being the one who eats most of it. If you go to my About Page you’ll see that I’m not a skinny girl per se… More of the “soft” type. I’m the kind of cook you’d trust to make good food, but not kill you with deep fried nonsense. Needless to say, I should not be eating an entire cake by myself…
When it comes to muffins, or any sweetbread for that mater, my family will finish off every last crumb within 24 hours. As much a I love having an entire cake to myself, a home baker has to make what the people want (and what’s reasonable for the waistline). And my people want muffins!
This fall my family was all about this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins. The base of the recipe is actually based on an old family recipe for Blueberry Muffins (which I highly recommend trying).
Many sweetbread batters use oil, but this one has creamed butter and sugar. The result is a richer flavor that is perfect with fresh, seasonal apples and cinnamon, and don’t forget about that delicious streusel topping!
These muffins are so good that I’m pretty sure I could go through the whole dozen without my family’s help… Fortunately for my health, I doubt I’ll have the opportunity to be tempted!
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Big, delicious fall flavors of tart apples and cinnamon sugar come together in a delightfully small package with these super tasty seasonal muffins!
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 C flour
- 1/2 C light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 C softened butter (10 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 C flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C milk
- 3 C tart apples, diced (2-3 apples)
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted stir in the remaining ingredients with a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- Remove from the heat and crumble with a fork. Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Next, cream in the eggs and vanilla.In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Alternating back and forth, add both the milk and the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, mixing in between until both are fully incorporated into the sugar and butter mixture.
- Next prepare the tart apples. Peel, seed and dice the apples. In a small mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Add the apples to the cinnamon sugar mixture and gently mix until all the apples are coated.
- Fold the sweetened and spiced apples into the batter until they are just evenly combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Add cupcake liners to a muffin tin and fill three quarters of the way full with batter. I find that an ice-cream scoop works well for this.
- Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon of streusel onto each muffin. When you're done if any streusel remains evenly distribute it over the muffins.
- Bake in a 350º F oven for 20-25 minutes. The muffins are done when they are just beginning to turn golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a baker’s rack.
Leave a Reply