Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow – The pink hue of real strawberries gives a special Valentine’s Day twist to this classic sweet treat!
When my oldest son was a toddler his favorite book to read together was Snuggle Puppy! by Sandra Boynton. It’s a sing-song story of a mommy dog telling her puppy how much she loves him, and it goes like this…
I say, ooh snuggle puppy of mine-Sandra Boynton
everything about you is especially fine
I love what you are, I love what you do.
Ooh I love you
My son is just about ten now, but he’s still glows when I call him my Snuggle Pup. Incidentally, Puppy Chow is one of his favorite desserts. That’s why this Valentine’s Day season I decided to put a festive twist on this favorite and make him Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow.
The secret ingredient in this simple, four-ingredient recipe is freeze-dried strawberries. They are blended in a food processor until they turn into the texture of confectioners sugar. Combined with powdered sugar, it makes a lovely real-strawberry, pink coating for Chex that have been coated in melted chocolate.
The end result is a delicious chocolate-strawberry-flavored treat with a crunch. They’re naturally pink for Valentine’s Day, and this recipe is the perfect Puppy Love Chow for the Snuggle Pup in your life!
Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow
The pink hue of real strawberries gives a special Valentine's Day twist to this classic sweet treat!
- 2 C (1.5 oz) unsweetened freeze-dried strawberries
- 2 C confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 12 oz bag chocolate*
- 8 C (1 12 oz box) Chex corn cereal
- Measure 2 cups of unsweetened, freeze-dried strawberries into a food processor. Process until it's a fine powder that is similar in texture to confectioners sugar.
- Add the confectioners sugar and the processed freeze-dried strawberries into a small mixing bowl. Stir until evenly combined and you have a pink powder. Set aside.
- Measure the corn Chex in to a very large mixing bowl, then also set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 30 second increments, stirring in between. When it’s almost completely melted, switch to 15 second increments. Take care to microwave until just melted, as over-heating will ruin the texture of the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, evenly pour it over the Chex. Fold the chocolate into the Chex until they are completely coated, taking care not to break the cereal.
- Once coated in chocolate, add the real strawberry powdered sugar to the bowl and evenly coat the Chex. Hint: Use a bowl that has a lid so that the powdered sugar can be gently tossed over the chocolate-covered Chex.
- Allow the chocolate to set for 30 minutes before serving. The Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
*I used chocolate that was 48% cocoa, but choose the darkness of the chocolate based on your preference.