Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow – The pink hue of real strawberries gives a special Valentine’s Day twist to this classic sweet treat!
When my oldest son was a toddler his favorite book to read together was Snuggle Puppy! by Sandra Boynton. It’s a sing-song story of a mommy dog telling her puppy how much she loves him, and it goes like this…
I say, ooh snuggle puppy of mine-Sandra Boynton
everything about you is especially fine
I love what you are, I love what you do.
Ooh I love you
My son is just about ten now, but he’s still glows when I call him my Snuggle Pup. Incidentally, Puppy Chow is one of his favorite desserts. That’s why this Valentine’s Day season I decided to put a festive twist on this favorite and make him Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow.
The secret ingredient in this simple, four-ingredient recipe is freeze-dried strawberries. They are blended in a food processor until they turn into the texture of confectioners sugar. Combined with powdered sugar, it makes a lovely real-strawberry, pink coating for Chex that have been coated in melted chocolate.
The end result is a delicious chocolate-strawberry-flavored treat with a crunch. They’re naturally pink for Valentine’s Day, and this recipe is the perfect Puppy Love Chow for the Snuggle Pup in your life!
- 2 C (1.5 oz) unsweetened freeze-dried strawberries
- 2 C confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 12 oz bag chocolate*
- 8 C (1 12 oz box) Chex corn cereal
- Measure 2 cups of unsweetened, freeze-dried strawberries into a food processor. Process until it's a fine powder that is similar in texture to confectioners sugar.
- Add the confectioners sugar and the processed freeze-dried strawberries into a small mixing bowl. Stir until evenly combined and you have a pink powder. Set aside.
- Measure the corn Chex in to a very large mixing bowl, then also set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 30 second increments, stirring in between. When it’s almost completely melted, switch to 15 second increments. Take care to microwave until just melted, as over-heating will ruin the texture of the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, evenly pour it over the Chex. Fold the chocolate into the Chex until they are completely coated, taking care not to break the cereal.
- Once coated in chocolate, add the real strawberry powdered sugar to the bowl and evenly coat the Chex. Hint: Use a bowl that has a lid so that the powdered sugar can be gently tossed over the chocolate-covered Chex.
- Allow the chocolate to set for 30 minutes before serving. The Chocolate and Real Strawberry Puppy Love Chow can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
*I used chocolate that was 48% cocoa, but choose the darkness of the chocolate based on your preference.