Creamy Chicken and Egg Noodles – Perfect for the whole family, this easy, one-pot weeknight meal combines subtle flavors that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy!
If you’re looking for a weeknight meal that the whole family will love (yes, even the picky one), this recipe for Creamy Chicken and Egg Noodles is a great place to start. In my home, my WHOLE family eats this without complaint!
I’m normally drawn to bold and spicy flavors, but this simple and understated recipe still has a place in my kitchen. It’s subtly flavored with celery, onions, garlic, thyme, and parsley in a way that isn’t too bland for flavor lovers, but gentle enough for picky eaters. That, plus a touch of creaminess definitely places it into the comfort food category.
Sometimes I think of comfort foods as being synonymous with unhealthy, but that isn’t the case with this recipe. First, selecting an enriched pasta adds nutrition to the dish. Most big brands will be enriched, but just take a second to flip that package over. An enriched pasta will be a good source of things like iron, riboflavin, folic acid, and niacin. Also, the chicken adds a great source of lean protein. And finally, there’s a bunch of vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, and corn) that become almost hidden once they’re mixed in with the pasta, but are still very much there! It’s a whole, balanced meal in one dish!
Like I said before, this recipe for Creamy Chicken and Egg Noodles is the perfect weeknight meal. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 oz extra wide egg noodles
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 C carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 C celery, diced
- 1 1/2 C sweet onion, diced
- 1 C frozen sweet corn
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 C chicken stock
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 2 C parmesan cheese, evenly divided
- Trim any excess fat or tendons off the chicken tenderloins, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Lightly season with salt and pepper according to your taste preference. Heat a large skillet or pot to medium-high heat. Brown and cook the chicken until it’s cooked through, to a temperature of 165ºF. Once cooked, spoon into a bowl and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, boil a pot of water and cook the egg noodles per the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Chop the carrots, celery, and onions.
- In the skillet or pot that the chicken was cooked in, melt 5 Tbsp of butter over medium heat and add the diced carrots and celery to the skillet. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften. Next, add the onions and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
- Add the garlic and spices to the skillet and cook 1 minute.
- Make a roux that will become the base for the cream sauce. Do this by adding the flour to the skillet and cooking for 1 minute. Next slowly add the 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth while constantly stirring so that the flour and broth combine and become creamy.
- Add the corn, cooked chicken, and pasta to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until hot and bubbling.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream and 1 C of parmesan cheese. Heat until steaming, but not bubbling, and then remove from the burner.
- Serve hot with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.