Tex Mex Stuffed Delicata Squash
Serves: 4 Time: prep 25 minutes, cook 35-40 minutes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 delicata squash
- 1 each medium red, yellow, and green bell peppers, diced
- 1 C diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Cut delicata squash in half length-wise and remove seeds with a spoon. Spray 9×13 baking dish with olive oil, place delicata inside, and set aside.
2. Brown ground chicken in a skillet over medium heat and then set aside in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Dice onions and peppers and saute in the skillet that was used for the chicken over medium heat until the vegetables are softened. Once the vegetables are cooked add minced garlic to the pan, saute for 1 more minute, and then add the vegetables to chicken.
4. Add dry spices and half of the shredded cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl and then fold the ingredients together.
5. Finally, fill the delicata squash with the mixture of vegetables and chicken and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 350º F for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the squash is nice and soft when tested with a fork. Cover the dish as needed if the cheese begins to brown to prevent burning.
*This recipe pairs nicely with a whole grain rice or steamed corn
This recipe was delicious and so filling. We did not need any side dish. This will be saved!
Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed this recipe! I haven’t made it in a while. You reminded me that it needs to find it’s way on my menu soon!
Since delicate squash can only be bought a few weeks during the year, I plan on making squash and freezing it so that I can make an adapted recipe without the skins. Wish me luck!
Best of luck Karen! Be sure to come back and let me know how it turns out!
It works out well. I loved the presentation in original recipe though. It also works out to prepare and jyst heat an serve. Bonus.
Thanks for letting me know how it turn out! I think I may just freeze a few this fall!