Tex Mex Stuffed Delicata Squash
Serves: 4 Time: prep 25 minutes, cook 35-40 minutes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 delicata squash
- 1 each medium red, yellow, and green bell peppers, diced
- 1 C diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Cut delicata squash in half length-wise and remove seeds with a spoon. Spray 9×13 baking dish with olive oil, place delicata inside, and set aside.
2. Brown ground chicken in a skillet over medium heat and then set aside in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Dice onions and peppers and saute in the skillet that was used for the chicken over medium heat until the vegetables are softened. Once the vegetables are cooked add minced garlic to the pan, saute for 1 more minute, and then add the vegetables to chicken.
4. Add dry spices and half of the shredded cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl and then fold the ingredients together.
5. Finally, fill the delicata squash with the mixture of vegetables and chicken and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 350º F for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the squash is nice and soft when tested with a fork. Cover the dish as needed if the cheese begins to brown to prevent burning.
*This recipe pairs nicely with a whole grain rice or steamed corn